The history of Faculty of Medicine Universitas Sebelas Maret (UNS) cannot be seperated from the history of the university, which was inaugurated on March 11, 1976, with the Presidential Decree of the Republic of Indonesia Number 10 of 1976. UNS, which was originally named as Universitas Negeri Sebelas Maret Surakarta, was an amalgamation of five universities in Surakarta at that time. The five universities are :
- State Institute of Teacher Training and Education Surakarta (known as IKIP Surakarta).
- State College of Sport Surakarta (known as STO).
- Commercial Administration Academy Surakarta (known as AAN).
- Surakarta Joint University (known as UGS), which was a joint of several private universities in Surakarta. One of these univerties which had the Faculty of Medicine was Indonesian Islamic University Branch Surakarta.
- Faculty of Medicine of the National Development College under the Department of Defense and Security (knwon as PTPN) Branch Surakarta.
At the first time of its establishment, UNS consisted of 9 faculties :
- Faculty of Education Sciences.
- Faculty of Teacher Sciences.
- Faculty of Culture and Letters.
- Faculty of Social and Politics.
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Economics.
- Faculty of Medicine.
- Faculty of Agriculture.
- Faculty of Engineering.
At that time, all activities (both academic and administration activities) were done in different places within the Surakarta Municipality. Faculty of Medicine UNS occupied former building of the former Faculty of Medicine of PTPN Veteran Surakarta, located at Jalan Kolonel Sutarto No. 150 K Surakarta.
At that time, students used Central General Hospital Surakarta for educational activities. Now, that hospital is called Regional General Hospital (RSUD) Dr. Moewardi Surakarta which later became a Teaching Hospital, based on the Joint Decree of the Minister of Health, Minister of Home Affairs, and the Minister of Education and Culture as outlined in the Joint Decree Number: 544/Men.Kes./SKB/X/81043a/U/1981 324 A Year 1981 Date: 23 Desember 1981.